Bamboo flooring continues to increase in popularity due to its affordable price and elegant finish. One common problem homeowners experience is the accumulation of dried adhesive on the floor’s surface during installation. Failure to properly remove this glue while it’s still wet can lead to permanent finish damage. Below are seven steps to help you remove dried adhesive/glue from your bamboo flooring.
1) Apply a small amount of Bostik’s Ultimate Adhesive Remover to the dried glue. Bostik is a leader in the adhesive removal industry. Their products are readily biodegradable and are virtually odorless. Bostik offers two adhesive removal products which are both safe and effective means of removing dry glue from bamboo flooring:
- Bostik Best Ultimate Adhesive Remover: Available in a 32-ounce bottle, this liquid product is designed to remove wet and dried adhesives from flooring. If you choose to use Bostik’s liquid adhesive remover, make sure you pour only a small amount of solution directly onto the dried glue.
- Bostik Ultimate Adhesive Remover Towels: Manufactured with convenience and utility in mind, Bostik’s towels are pre-soaked and ready to use. Complete step one by removing a towel and squeezing a small amount of solution onto the dried adhesive.
2) Let the adhesive remover sit for approximately 15 minutes. A short waiting period allows the solution to permeate the adhesive and facilitate removal. Make sure that you do not let the solution (or any liquid, for that matter) remain on your floors for an extended period of time or you could end up with unsightly marks on your floors.
3) Wipe the application site with a cloth. This should be done right away in order to fully absorb the adhesive remover. Ideally, you should use a dry cloth with the following features:
4) Reapply the adhesive remover to the same spot. While this step may seem redundant, a second application is recommended to ensure that all glue is thoroughly removed.
5) Allow the product to sit for approximately 1 minute. Once again, it is important to allow the adhesive remover to penetrate any remaining residue.
6) Use a Mr. Clean ® Magic Eraser ® to remove the dried glue. Mr Clean® Magic Eraser is known for its ability to remove the toughest adhesive residue from glass, household items, and floors. Be sure to protect your skin during the removal process.
7) Thoroughly clean the application site and surrounding area. Once you have completely cleaned the affected floor area, make sure that there is no remaining adhesive. Also, scan your floors to make sure that there are no traces of oily residue – an annoyance which can sometimes arise after applying adhesive remover. If you discover any oily residue, you should it right away, using a damp rag to help loosen the oily film. You should then thoroughly wipe down the area with a dry rag to ensure that any traces of oil are absorbed.
What Should You Do If the Above Steps Fail?
Sometimes dried adhesives are so stubborn that they are immune to even the most thorough removal processes. In these cases, you may have to cut out the flooring planks and replace them. Or as a final removal step you can attempt to apply denatured alcohol to the dried adhesive to gradually wear it down. If you explore this measure, make sure that you take the following precautions:
- Apply a small test spot on a hidden plank in a low-profile area before treating the affected area
- Examine the test area to make sure that the process does not remove the finish on your floors
- Proceed with application of the denatured alcohol to the dried glue
Solutions for All of Your Bamboo Flooring Needs
There is no substitution for expertise when your bamboo floors require attention. The best way to address problems with your bamboo flooring is to seek the guidance of a leading industry expert. The team of professionals with Ambient Bamboo Floors has the tools and resources to help you safely address all of your bamboo flooring needs. For over 15 years, Ambient has been the nation’s most trusted provider of bamboo flooring. From the removal of dried adhesive to recommendations regarding how to how to clean bamboo flooring, the Ambient team has the expertise to help you properly care for your bamboo floors.