Sanding down and applying finish to bamboo floors
The instructions below apply to most polyurethane finishes applied to bamboo floors. For hard wax oil floors, as long as you regularly apply the wax oil you won't have the need to refinish them.
We highly recommend that you hire an experienced professional. However, if you want to tackle the job yourself, below is a general outline of the steps you will take.
- 1 At a local big box or flooring store, purchase the following:
- 1. 36 grit sandpaper
- 2. 80 grit sandpaper
- 3. The necessary quarts of uv-cured urethane finish
- 2 At a local tool rental store rent the following:
- 1. One B2 or Clark edger
- 2. One 2" scraper
- 3 Once you have the right tools, you're ready to begin the work:
- 1. Using the edger start to sand the floor down on a diagonal pattern/direction using the 36 grit sandpaper to get the existing finish off.
- 2. Then do a straight pattern/direction using the 36 grit sandpaper.
- 3. Then move to the 80 grit sandpaper and use it doing a straight pattern/direction. You may need the scraper to do the edges.
- 4. Once you have a smooth and dry surface you will want to apply 3 coats of the oil based polyurethane.
- 5. Allow enough time to dry by following the instructions on the product lable, and voila you're good to go!